Sunday, March 8, 2020

Remembering the women in my life.

On the occasion of the International Women's Day.

I thought it would be in the fitness of things to remember the women in my life who have made me what I am, on the occasion. It will be a tough task to pick and choose due to the constraints of time and to a certain extent, memory.....perhaps! So, without much ado, here I'm off and am gonna do it chronologically.

I was lucky to see both my great grandmothers from my mother's side :-

 (a) Janaki Amma.

       PN Panicker's mother. She was in her 80s, slightly bent due to advancing age, who moved around
       and was healthy enough to look after herself. She used to tell me a lot of stories from the
       Ramayana and the Mahabharatha and was very fond of me. My last glimpse of her was, on
       passing away, her body was taken to the cremation ground, by moving it over the compound
       wall of the house (The logic behind the tradition was that the person never leaves the house
       even after life!). I think I was 4, then.

 (b) Gauri Amma.

       Mrs. PN Panicker's mother. She, too, was in her 80s. I used to meet her when the entire family
       used to be taken to Ettumanoor, where she lived with her younger daughter. (I remember both
       my great grandmothers staying with my grandparents, at Thiruvananthapuram at one time,
       making it a very vibrant joint family!). She was very sad when my parents had sent me off to the
       Sainik School and used to tell my mom to give me good food as she was sure that I was being
       fed dry chappattis and runny dal! A great collection of mythological stories was her treasure!!

 (c) Kalyani Amma.

       My paternal grandmother; she was in her 50s when I saw her for the first time. I remember her,
       mostly dressed in a blouse and white dhoti with a shawl loosely thrown around her neck. She
       used to make a fish preparation, the taste of which comes to my mind as I punch in this post.
       She was always keen to know as to whom I liked more - her or my maternal grandmother!

 (d) Chempakakutty Amma.

       My maternal grandmother. Something deep within me had snapped when she had passed into
       the mist of time. We were more like friends; she used to tell me a lot of stories, wait for my                 school breaks to go to the doctor - for her medical problems, used to make dishes that I
       was fond of like ada, murukku, sambar and the works. We - just the two of us - used to go for
       matinee shows of Malayalam movies that had Sathyan and Madhu, during my term breaks from
       school, NDA and subsequently, while on leave from the IN. On my wedding day, soon after the
       ceremony, she'd said that she didn't mind passing away - and that was prophetic because she left
       us two months after that. She was a fund of knowledge and was aware of everything happening
       around! I was perpetually in love with Mrs. PN Panicker!!

 (e) Chandramathykutty Amma.

       My mother. Am yet to recover from the shock of her leaving us. She used to tell me as to what
       were the right things to do...remind me about the important dates concerning the family, so that
       I didn't miss them....was confident that I could do anything for her....she enjoyed her evening
       walks holding my hand, saying that she finally had me to herself! She used to avoid coming to
       meet me at school saying that she'd feel depressed after the visit! A pillar of strength with whom
       I shared my successes and failures, my good behaviour and the nasty ones. She used to sit
       behind me in the car, so that she could see me through the driving mirror.... And of course, not to
       forget the pinches that she gave me while teaching Math while I was a kid!

 (f) Sister Anne.

      My class teacher while in Convent. She was fond of me and would go out of her way to teach me
      things that were even out of syllabus. Her smile, a pat on my back with a few kind words were
      enough to get me out of my blues. She was a great motivator who loved children and she had a
      way with them. I still see her tearful face as I went to see her with my TC - after class IV - as I
      punch in these words.

 (g) A Saraswathy Amma.

       My Biology teacher in Sainik School. Her fondness for me began when I came first in class,
       in her subject, with 72% and she had just joined the staff in school. I think even some of my
       classmates were jealous of me because of that. Even now, when I meet her during the Alumni
       Day, I see that brightness on her face as I touch her feet and embrace her.

 (h) Laila Samson.

       A great lady, full of fun and laughter. She used to laugh at all my PJs and her peels of laughter
       was spontaneous and infectious. She used to regale me with naval stories and had made me write
       a letter to her after my last visit to her place at Madras! A tremendous friend, who taught me a
       lot of lessons about life.

 (j)  My sisters, Rema and Renjini.

       My sisters, both younger to me, who tell me things on my face. I know, for one, that they have
       great regard and feel that I am a good role model(?). They open up about their doubts and
       apprehensions and expect me to give them ideal solutions - and that puts tremendous pressure on
       me! Their needs are so few and they are my pillars of support within the family.

 (k) Lekha.

       Ever since she has joined me in my life, it has been a roller coaster. I've seen her go through
       tremendous physical pain and discomfort but despite that, she can laugh at life. What bewilders
       me is that she feels I can achieve wonders....a tall order! Her inner strength and positive outlook
       are her assets and they impress me.

After having said the above, I would be failing in my duty if I didn't talk about my aunts, cousins and friends who have taught me many, many valuable things in life and have taken me, wholeheartedly, as a significant part of their lives. Shall ever remain indebted to each one of them!

So, it can be clearly seen that the women in my life have been and continue to be strong individuals. I am, indeed, proud to have each of them having played/continue to play a significant role in my life.


Tailpiece.

Lekha and Mini were, literally, temple hopping this morning. They had gone, first, to the Kosappilli temple nearby and then, to the Kottarakkara Ganapathy kshetram. Murali, the electrician, had come promptly by 9 to finish up the work as promised.

The entire village was bubbling with enthusiasm, thanks to the annual festivities of the nearby Thrikkonnamarkodu Devi temple.

Have fixed up a chauffeur for myself to attend my course mate's daughter's wedding tomorrow at Kochi and to be back, in time, for witnessing the procession in the evening.     
        

       

No comments:

Post a Comment