Sunday, September 5, 2021

Adieu Unni kochachha!

Unni kochachhan, all of 88 years, and the husband of Sarala Kunjamma (Puthuvayil Kesava Panicker's youngest daughter) passed into the mist of time this morning by about a quarter past 9 at his residence near Manarcad in Kottayam district. We couldn't make it for the funeral but I've promised my kunjamma that we'd fetch up within the coming days.

He had old-age related diseases and even carried a bag into which his urine passed. To top it all, he was suffering from the Parkinson's Syndrome. His two daughters, Vrinda and Vidya, ensured that he got the best of everything, always and every time.

I shall, now, try to recall my times spent with him because he was a very loving man and was respectful of my dad, thought the world of my mom and was very, very fond of me and my sisters. He was a film representative and it was his duty to ensure that the movies reached the cinemas at the right time for public viewing and towards that end, he travelled almost continuously and crisscrossed the entire state countless times.

Our house, Raj Nivas, used to be his base of operations whenever he had to cover Kollam and the nearby districts - Alappuzha and Pathanamthitta. His visits were eagerly looked forward to by us as he used to take us for the first show of the new movie that he'd brought in, free of cost. He used to keep track of my school vacations and arrive at our house accordingly. 

His right leg used to give him problems and therefore, he used to avoid footwear at times but still moved long distances. But I've never seen him complaining or being morose as he went about his work sincerely and with a sense of purpose. He was extremely fond of my kunjamma and ensured that she accompanied him on all his tours till their children's schooling demanded her presence at home. 

Earlier, we used to make it a point to stay at their place and visit other relatives and friends, from there. The last time that we'd gone was about three years back during the time of the Neelamperoor Devi temple's annual festivities. I used to sit beside him and we used to talk about many things. The most important thing about him was that he was disarmingly simple in outlook and always thought about the good of the others. He used to tell his grandchildren to emulate me in everything they did.

What struck me in that house was that it was full of love and each one of them - theirs was a joint family - respected one another and had the other's well being in mind. It's a very happy family!

Adieu kochachha! I shall always remember your pleasant countenance, handsome personality and the unconditional love that you've showered upon me. I shall ever remain indebted to you. My salute to a well meaning and thorough gentleman. My tears and prayers! May Sarala kunjamma, Vrinda, Vidya and their children muster the strength to tide over these difficult times.

Om Shanti! Sadgati!!


Tailpiece.

Got up at 6, the chores and carried out a washing machinex. It pitter pattered all through the day.

Kittu was with us all through the forenoon.

Mithun from the National Supermarket and Rahul from the Medicare supplied us the things that we'd ordered. 



No comments:

Post a Comment