Thursday, February 24, 2011

My grandfather's grandson.

Laxman, my classmate from school, is hanging his uniform by the end of this month. Last Monday, after my return from Delhi, I'd spent a while with him and gathered that 24th was the only day that he could spare for his classmates to organise a farewell.

Each one of the class of '72, at Kochi(we're 15 ), were contacted and apprised of the situation. And keeping the message terse, I just told everyone that they should try and make it to the USO club by 1930 hrs. The response was overwhelming and the conglomeration started off on a high note. The rest of the evening went off like clockwork and the bond that exists amongst us was very evident in the emotions expressed, the anecdotes shared and the promises made to meet more often. The best part was that the ladies reciprocated the sentiments in equal measure.

In the end, as I thanked each and everyone of them for fetching up and making the evening memorable, a friend on behalf of everyone present said and I quote, "Rajeev, you've a special place in our hearts and when you make an invite, one really doesn't feel like saying no as all of us like being with you to hear your chatter".

Years back, I'd heard a similar sentiment being echoed about my grandfather. Have I inherited that quality? I'd like to believe that I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment