Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Back to basics!

With Lekha at her sister's place keeping a watch on her dad's progress, post surgery and me waiting for the government accommodation to be allotted, I've been staying in the Mess and have my man Friday - Johnson(who likes his two tots every evening) - to fuss over me. And I must admit that he does it well.

Getting up at 6 has become a habit - these days, the call of the cuckoo is an accompaniment that's greatly welcome - and after the usual routine, my monologue with God, wash and breakfast I'm just in time for the office at 9. Balraj and Sebastian (both pongoes) are my 'saarthis', in turn. The television is switched on when I get up, for the early morning 'bhajans' and numbers from the old Malayalam movies. The working hours are comfortable from 9 to 5, with an hour's lunchbreak at 1.

And by 6, in the evening, I'm usually out of the cabin for my brisk walk of roughly 5 kms and since I take the road on the perimeter, I'm privy to sights that encompass the entire microcosm of India compressed into the compactness of the area. It's really very freshening and exhilarating!

After a bit of yoga and associated ground exercises my limited social interactions are limited to pow wows with the chirpy duo of Simran and Samira and their parents. Of course there are unannounced visitors, many a time and that's the time I really miss being with the two kids who've endeared themselves to me by their innocent and lively chatter. By 9, I tune in to Arnab Goswami's spirited crusade against the goings on around the world and having heard the gist of it, move on for supper. A light intake washed down with a cup of Horlicks is my favourite menu these days.

Back in the cabin, it's time for some light bedtime reading while the television is beaming in my favourite programmes. And by 11, it's pipedown - reminds me of my good old days as a young subaltern in the same surroundings! A sort of a rewind of life and yours truly is a well behaved boy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment