Sunday, June 12, 2011

At my parents' feet......again.

As I sit and punch in these thoughts, mom and dad are on the bed and making conversation about the family get together that we'd attended earlier in the day.

It was a fun filled and emotional occasion as it facilitated the meeting of my parents with my great aunt - she's 92 and confined to her house, at Ettumanoor, due to infirmity. They tried to pack in as much of their thoughts as possible and exchanged them during the brief interaction and parted, hoping that they'd meet again. I'd the privilege of noting the thrill in the three of them - laced with tears - for being able to meet up after a long while! And many of their friends and relatives, who've passed away into eternity, came into their conversation.

Mom and dad have come along to go through mom's review of her eyes, post cataract surgery after a calendar month. She's quite thrilled about being able to read her books and favourite magazines alongwith the fine print of the newspapers! And these days, she's giving the final touches to the numerous lectures that she's going to undertake during the coming week, in connection with the 'Reading Week' commencing 19 Jun, in remembrance of her father. Each piece will highlight a particular facet of PN Panicker, covered liberally with attendant anecdotes - I can bet that those speeches will be well received by audiences of all age groups!

Due to his ailment, my dad takes a while to adjust to the layout of the house that he's visiting, especially when he wakes up in the night to go to the wash room. In his mind, he must have gone through his 'internal programming' many a time, after having reached here.

As I wind up, he asks me as to whether I'd mind if he were to wake me up during such occasions. How do I tell him that his requirement can never be a botheration, ever?

No comments:

Post a Comment