Thursday, June 9, 2011

Musafir hoon yaaron......

As I punch in my thoughts, this classic number from the movie 'Parichay' is being aired on the FM and I'm taken back in time. I was a first termer at the NDA and a senior, who'd decided that I lacked discipline, was taking me to task because I'd come late for his fall in that he'd called for before lunch. The reason for my latecoming was that a coursemate had suddenly gotten ill in class and I'd volunteered to take him to the nearby MH, Kharakvasla for medical management. But my answer was taken as a weak alibi and I was asked to roll on the Squadron's long corridor.

Since it was our first month at the Academy, we're still moving around in civvies and I was wearing a spanking new Zodiac tie to go with my shirt.The tie seemed to irk my senior and he'd rolled it and put the roll into my mouth for a chew, which I'd initially shammed thinking that he's joking and didn't seriously mean it. His reaction - an unexpected punch on my abdomen - made me go mad with a very private rage coupled with the shock and pain, that I chewed the tie into a miserable mass and he seemed to be mighty pleased with my effort.

The front rolls had begun soon after that.

And it was then that the Kishore Kumar magical number came wafting in from the high definition speakers of the Squadron's music system in the ante room. Kishoreda's voice, the lovely lyrics and the haunting music - that I was hearing for the first time - rejuvenated me and I'd already forgiven my senior, as I was beginning to enjoy the stuation. Subsequently, there were many occasions when I'd heard and reheard that number, in the most awkward of positions which were considered an essential element of making men out of us, rookies!

And I grew up, identifying the lyrics as highlighting my own personal story and it's one of my favourites. My coursemates, for a while, used to call me 'Musafir' thanks to my craze of wanting to hear it again and again and again!

Musafir hoon yaaron.........!

No comments:

Post a Comment