Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Reminiscences!

The Ayurveda Acharya.

Dr PK Varier, the head of the Kottakkal Arya Vaidyasala celebrates his 90th birthday today. He's a wonderful gentleman who's humility personified and is a living example of being unspoilt by success and adulation. I remember my numerous visits to his Arya Vaidyasala and his home with my grandparents for whom his medical advice was gospel. His kind words, the benign smile and the ever helpful countenance gave his patients the will to fight their discomfort and the resultant popularity was all encompassing.

Sir, while wishing you many happy returns, it's our fond hope that you'll continue to be amidst us and here's us praying to the Almighty to give you many more years of good health and happiness. I'm sure my grandparents - Mr and Mrs PN Panicker - would be blessing you from wherever they are!


Katha Ammoomma has left us.

Mrs Kamalakshi Amma, the wife of the literary colossus the late Thakazhi Sivasankara Pillai, has become memory. She used to be affectionately addressed as 'Katha' by her husband to avoid confusion as his sister too had the same name!

As we pray for the departed soul, I'm reminded of my numerous visits to the Thakazhi home during my school days alongwith my grandparents, as they shared a wonderful relationship. Katha Ammoomma would always ensure that I was tended with sweet meats and other delicacies. She'd enormous love for everybody and was a genuine and simple human being. I shall always remain indebted to her for the tremendous love and affection she'd showered upon me.

I offer my tears and prayers and am sure that Katha Ammoomma is with her husband at long last!

No comments:

Post a Comment