Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A couple of issues!

The Perils of Using a Credit Card

I've got used to the generous usage of plastic money for the past ten years or so. It becomes very convenient especially when one's travelling as it precludes carrying too much money on person. And since I do not subscribe to having too many cards, I've just a couple and one of them is in the process of renewal - which is taking an inordinately long time! So, for the last couple of outings, I've been using the second card and this 'working' card has had glitches much to my discomfort.

The first time it had happened was at a roadside fuel bunk while we're on our way to Bangalore. The looks that the cashier, at the bunk, gave were enough for me to wish that I'd shrunk into my clothes. These days with the media unearthing fraudsters by a dime a dozen, cynicism has begun to creep into every Indian and consequently, everyone is viewed with suspicion unless proved otherwise. A malfunctioning credit card is the perfect recipe for suspicions to take wings! I'd put the whole incident aside as a non issue because many of the highway bunks prefer hard cash to plastic money and hence, claim problems on their card processing machines when one offers one's card for completing the transaction!!

The second glitch had occurred in a department store at Kochi and the bill had to be settled by paying hard cash. I'd got disgusted and ultimately went to the bank to see what the problem was all about. To my utter horror and ofcourse, to my pleasant surprise the cause was due to a faulty directive - meant for another account - that had been injected into mine. The operator gave a weak smile and apologised profusely - the young lady could not understand the agony that I'd gone through, perhaps, for her faux pas!

The Roads of Kochi

With the monsoon's fury lashing the city without any let up, the first thing that has begun to give way are the roads of the city. Potholes of varying sizes have started to spring up and what makes driving a nightmare is that the man behind the wheel is unable to fathom the 'largeness' thanks to the rainwater that gets filled up in them. The road surface that gets mauled badly are usually, towards the approaches to the bus stops where buses brake frequently for picking up passengers.

Repairs will be undertaken only after the cessation of the monsoons and obviously, one has to literally grin and bear it until then. I feel sorry for my Cruze and myself - strictly, in that order!

No comments:

Post a Comment