Thursday, August 18, 2011

Farewell, Shammi Kapoor.

Shammi Kapoor had passed away over the weekend. I'd purposely kept my thoughts about him on hold, as I was poring through the reminiscences, from all over, on the media as well as the cyberworld and thankfully, am now privy to the many facets of his personality. He was the master entertainer of his times. During my childhood days, I'd been to a number of movies of his, thanks to my parents who enjoyed watching movies. The lasting impression that I have of his movies is that they all had happy endings with plenty of fun, frolic and tomfoolery. His theatrics and antics were a treat - I enjoyed them and continue to do so, for sure.

Reminiscing further, I'd like to list out a few of my favourite numbers, picturised on him when he'd spun his magic:-
(a) 'Ae gulbadan' in Professor.
(b) 'Ye chand sa roshan' in Kashmir ki kali.
(c) 'Deewana hua badal' in Kashmir ki kali.
(d)'Dil ke jharokhon mein' in Brahmachari.
(e) 'Ahsaan tera hoga mujh par' in Rajkumar.
(f) 'Jawaniyan yeh mast mast' in Tumsa nahin dekha.
(g) 'Akele akele kahan ja rahe ho' in An evening in Paris.
(h) 'Dil deke dekho' in the film by the same name.
(j) 'Deewana mujhsa nahin' in Teesri Manzil and
(k)' Tumse achha kaun hai' in the film by the same name.

I guess I can go on and on of the numbers that he and the gifted Mohammed Rafi have immortalised.

And in his passing, I feel that a part of my childhood has gone away, never to return. Shammi Kapoorji, RIP.

PS.
And for all the users of the cyberworld, he shall remain immortal so long as the Yahoo search engine continues to chug along, as it was named so, to celebrate his passionate use of the medium!

No comments:

Post a Comment