Thursday, October 18, 2012

A non-veg 'masala dosa'?

I've a weakness for two things, probably highlighting my 'Malayalee' roots - the masala dosa and the filtered coffee. Though dietary purists might argue that both the dishes have a 'Tamilian' connection, I'd like to counter by saying that they've a south Indian appeal and therefore, pegging it down to one region or culture would be grossly unfair and it would be like cocking a snook at their universal appeal and popularity.

A single masala dosa, with its yummy stuffing of a combination of potatoes, onions and the requisite spices is enough to satisfy my gastronomic needs at any time of the day. Washing it down with a cup of filtered coffee makes the snacking memorable and complete. Piping hot, filtered coffee mixed nicely by pouring it once or twice from the steel tumbler into the round dish that acts as the saucer and finally having the brew, sip by sip, from the 'saucer' is the only sure way to enjoy the experience! The flavour and the aroma add to the heady feeling!!

But I suppose someone's evil eyes(?) have fallen upon my preferences. It was a blow to see the news coverage on the Asianet about a couple having been served with a non vegetarian masala dosa - a cooked, fat centipede amid the stuffing - at a vegetarian restaurant in Thiruvananthapuram. Ever since I saw those visuals, there's been an uneasy churning in my stomach and I'm unable to get over it.

It'll take a long time for me get over the predicament. And the masala dosa, as a snack, is a strict no no for me for the time being!

No comments:

Post a Comment