Monday, October 8, 2012

The enemy within!

As I'd recounted earlier on this forum, I'm the president of a residential welfare organisation. It's fun because I've come to learn a lot many new things and have developed more patience while dealing with people. To my mind, none of their problems is trivial and providing a solution at the quickest possible time has been my endeavour.

But what amazes me is the dual face that certain individuals project. To elucidate the point, I've two illustrations. The first is about a person who's ironically, a member of my core committee too. On my taking over, he'd brought in a barber for the residents. Though good at his job and well behaved, the barber had a propensity to borrow money from residents and absent himself frequently without valid reasons. The core committee had repeatedly asked him to sign a contract with the organisation which he, for reasons unknown, kept putting off. The last straw that broke the proverbial camel's back was when he'd disappeared  to his hometown in Bihar - all of a sudden - and had remained absent for over a month.

The core committee put another barber in place and gave it a stamp of approval by signing a contractual agreement with him. Ever since, the committee member, in question, has been after the new incumbent, finding fault at every step of his, making his life miserable. He's now been told by your's truly to behave and seems to have been chastised - at least, for the time being!

The second person amazes me even further. He, outwardly, while being very respectful and repeatedly assuring us of his support, does things on the contrary much to my discomfort. We'd to get an area - in the frontage of one of the buildings - ready for seating connected officials to carry out paper work for the overall maintenance of the residential area. For the purpose, his car had to be removed out of its stilt parking area for two days. Since he's away on leave my boys had conveyed the requirement to his wife who'd readily agreed to it last evening. But, sometime this morning, he'd called up the security sentry at the gate and told him to convey it to us that his car should not be touched. And all attempts at contacting him turned out to be futile! It was strange and I really had not expected this from him, a happy-go-lucky bong as I see him and from whom I'd taken over!!

A visibly angry caretaker tells me, "sir, he's jealous of you because you've achieved so many things within a very short period".


Tailpiece.

I'm reminded of an old saying in this context and I quote, 'In an organisation those who matter, do not bother and those who bother, do not matter'.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment