Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The bully.

We'd set off from home, after an early lunch, for Kochi. The weather was nice though the sky was overcast and thankfully, the roads were empty due to the spate of holidays this week - Dussehra followed by Bakr Id.  I shudder to think of the traffic, that's gonna be, this Sunday!

The roads were okay as patchwork has been resorted to but I'm sure that the crafty 'contractor-bureaucrat' nexus would show the work as 'fully resurfaced' and claim the money accordingly. In some places, work was going on as though they're working against a deadline. So, driving along was an okay experience. But, on the home stretch, I did encounter a bully - and a real mean one at that.

The guy was driving a huge black 'Bolero' and he was sounding the horn almost continuously. He didn't seem to be in any hurry and was following me even though I'd given him a couple of chances to overtake my Chevy. But he chugged on behind me with his horn blaring away, unabated. It was then that I decided to tackle him my way. Bringing my car to a sudden halt at a narrow stretch, I got out and approached him asking him as to what his problem was. He seemed to be taken aback by my action because he shrugged and made a noise with his mouth implying that he didn't mean by what he did. He must have also seen my identity card dangling from my neck which brought him back to his senses almost instantly.

I just walked away from him after saying that he could overtake me forthwith but if he chose to follow me, he shall not 'sit on his horn'. And from then on, he dropped back a few 100 metres and maintained that distance till we entered Kochi.


Tailpiece.

Wonder why he tried to be a bully? He was driving by himself and probably, to fight the monotony, he might have resorted to his wicked pastime.

And by telling him to behave was I becoming a bully, on the rebound?

No comments:

Post a Comment