Monday, October 1, 2012

A white lie...or an act of escapism?

Boy meets girl......sparks fly at first sight......Cupid has found his mark......everything ends happily! This is truly 'filmi' but it does happen once a way, I'm sure!! At least, I can vouch for a few cases within my immediate family.

Boy meets girl......sparks fly at first sight......Cupid has found his mark......but there's a problem here. Both are from different faiths. The respective parents go through agony....feel bad about having been let down, especially when they'd brought up each of their children as friends and had deduced that there were no secrets between them. Since I'm close to the boy's family, my opinion and support were sought. Going through the entire sequence of events, there was no alternative but to bring the agonising parents to accept reality and work out a way to welcome their 'new' daughter-in-law because the young couple was already living together!

The boy's parents had gone to the youngsters' workplace last weekend and went through a simple marriage ceremony at one of the city's temples. And as a follow through, the parents were to meet this evening, at the girl's house, with your's truly accompanying them. I think my PJs helped, to a certain extent, in removing the initial awkwardness. And the two families got together to make their newfound relationship meaningful and take it forward for the sake of their children.

Parents, who truly loved their children and hats off, to the flexibility in their attitude!

As we're returning from the interaction, the boy's father had asked me for my opinion about the young lady. The girl definitely will not scorch the ramps of a fashion parade but then who am I, a lesser mortal, to sit in judgement of her physical appearance and heap further agony on the sad parents? My answer was measured, "She's okay. I'm sure that your son has found some sterling qualities in her which needs to be respected and accepted. They're quite comfortable as a couple and that's what we should be happy about".


Tailpiece.

We're served a delicious 'Malayalee' snack of idlis and sambar alongwith other delicacies. When I enquired of her father as to why he wasn't joining us, his "I've already finished my share of 15 idlis" gave me an impetus to bash on regardless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment