Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sunday musings.

We're at Guruvayur for the weekend on our monthly visit for a 'darshan' of the good Lord and to monitor the progress of work in our home. The drive was good and we stayed at our usual haunt! I'm recounting a few experiences of mine during the weekend.

(a) A trader's act of kindness.

Soon after the visit to the temple, we'd got into one of the shops on either side of the eastern approach to the temple to buy a photograph of the deity for my mom. After a long search, a piece was selected and I was pulling out my wallet from my pocket to pay up the amount, when the shopkeeper asked me, "Sir, you've been a bit unusual in that you have not tried to haggle about the price which is a normal happening out here. Are you really happy with what you've picked up?"

My answer was simple, "Look, this is for my mom. I'm sure she'd like this piece and therefore, am willing to pay any amount for it. But I'm sure that you've charged me a reasonable rate". He was generous in giving me a rebate of Rs.50/- saying that it was his special offer for my mom. I was touched by his benevolent act and could only thank him from the bottom of my heart.

....And who says that traders are out to squeeze money out of customers? Moreover, he's given me a standing invite for future purchases!

(b) An evening at my friend's place.

On return to Kochi, after my customary evening walk, we're just in time to fetch up for dinner at our friends' place which they've recently occupied after having it done up. It's a beautiful flat spread over 1,567sq ft, with tastefully crafted interiors and the right amount of furniture and artefacts. And we're witness to a few rare qualities that's fast disappearing in the present day of 'fast' life.

I've always known about my friend's capability of preservation of even the smallest of things, all through. But this evening's stuff was the cutest. Two small baby frocks - with the smocking and other intricate stitches intact and looking as good as new - presented to her daughter 23 years back, soon after birth, were exhibited for our benefit. And the person who'd presented them was also with us! Wasn't she thrilled or was she surprised?

Rare qualities, indeed, seen among a very few!

And amid us, elders, there was young Vidhant - a school going kid - who'd sat with us without showing any kind of irritation or impatience and answered our queries clearly, without hesitation, showing his fine upbringing. Throughout the evening, the youngster did not ask for watching the television or playing the video game and we did come to know that he's a keen player of cricket! Again, a rare specimen these days and I'd taken an instant liking for him!

Here's wishing that young Vidhant gets all that he wishes for. And thanks, Suresh and Supriya for the wonderful evening and may your new abode bring you happy tidings in the years to come!!


Tailpiece.

Before going to my friend's place for the evening, Lekha and me were in a bit of a dilemma as to what we should take. After much racking of the brains, we'd decided to carry pastries instead of a showpiece, which would not have fitted into their scheme of things....perhaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment