Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Small things, great happiness!

The day of Holi. Calls had to be made, wishing close friends and relatives and gave me a reason to connect with them after quite a while. And of course, there were incoming ones and the messages that needed immediate attention. There were a few things that had taken place which gladdened me immensely. Let me narrate them.

   (a) 'Free' advice.

   Vaidy and his wife, Geetha are worried parents. There son, Balaji, doing the sixth semester in Mechanical
   Engineering has become the proud owner of a mobike. They're worried about the prospect of their son
   overspeeding through the crazy traffic of Coimbatore - without a helmet that too - and getting into trouble.
   They'd wanted me to speak to him about being careful, saying that he'd definitely listen to me as I was his
   favourite!

   Reminded me about a call that had come to me, sometime after midnight, from home quite a while back. I
   was studying for an examination the next day and feared the worst as calls at unearthly hours usually
   brought in bad news. It was my dad at the other end, very apologetic about the call but put it across that
   it was because my mom had seen a bad dream about your's truly - I was planning to by myself a spanking
   new bike. I don't know as to whether it was out of relief that it was not the bad news that I'd expected or
   for the advice that I must buy a car instead of the bike at such an unseemly hour that the immature me did
   take off on my dad - and he quietly rode through his son's tantrum! The end result was that I did acquire
   a Standard Herald(Cleopatra) - a good buy - immediately after, while I was at Coimbatore!!

   I did congratulate the young man for his new acquisition and put across the dos and don'ts while driving
   with the statement that his parents loved him so much that they did not want him to end up in trouble
   while he drove on the roads, thanks to the mistakes of the other motorists. I only hope that he did not
   dump me as another 'pesky' uncle, interfering in his personal matters!

  (b) My last ride.

  My official Gypsy is of '96 vintage and has clocked around a lakh and seventy eight thousand kilometers.
  It is beset with a host of problems and is prone to visit the mechanic quite often, of late. It's due for being
  downgraded and must, therefore, go through a whole lot of paper work and other related procedures. But,
  having said this, I must admit that it had never let me down whenever I was in it, though the experience had
  been otherwise for some of the others!

  It's gonna take a while before we get a spanking new vehicle in lieu, for my organisation and during the  
  interim, we'd have to take help, as and when required. Of course, I shall be using my Chevy for my use
  and will have to get used to driving myself after the luxury of being chauffeur driven.

  It was a flawless run and I must confess that I'll miss it, at least, at the initial stretch but I'm also glad that
  we're embarked on the process of getting a new vehicle, after an initial bit of hesitation on my part!

  (c) A colourful Holi.

  It was a boisterous and colourful Holi in our residential premises with the children having a lot of fun. And
  it was a great sight to see them being careful about not splashing colours within the buildings. I get more and
  more impressed with the maturity of the young children of today! They're definitely gonna be the good
  citizens of the morrow.


Tailpiece.

Someone came and blackened me with dark colours. I wondered as to how such dark a shade was achieved and must admit that it took a long while to wash it off!

No comments:

Post a Comment