Sunday, July 28, 2013

A kaleidoscope of emotions.

The day turned out to be hectic and had kept me busy. The first item of the day was the X-country run for the children of our residential area. I was glad to see the enthusiastic response of the participants that consisted of children of all age groups who're chaperoned by their parents and all of them sported colourful sports attire. The race was flagged off on the dot at a half-past-6, the course was about 21/2 kms and I was impressed with the performance of the participants:-

 (a) The kids know what they want!

 I was giving away the prizes after all the participants had returned. I'd told the organisers that while the
 first three winners, in each age category, were to be identified for the award of the prizes all participants
 were to be given sweets for having graced the occasion by their sheer presence. The secretary, standing
 beside me had, perhaps, got carried away by the gaiety of the occasion and handed over a gift to a child
 while I applauded as though there was nothing amiss.

 But the kid's reaction was swift and clear. After receiving the bunch of chocolates, she quickly handed them
 over to me saying, "Uncle, you must give me the prize". Was it the little one's way of telling us that there
 could be no deviations in protocol?

 (b) Kurup kochachan's excitement!

 Kurup kochachan - the late Leela kunjamma's husband - has been at Kochi for the past three weeks at his
 son's place. We'd invited him to come and stay with us for the week and accordingly, I was to pick him up
 around tea time. He seemed to be thoroughly excited and I shall leave it to my young nephew, Ramu's,
 report to me to highlight the old gentleman's feelings and I quote,

     "Uncle, you know grandpa has been
               (i) dressed up since morning.
              (ii) peeping out of the front window, every time he would hear the sound of a car.
             (iii) less enthusiastic in having his lunch and ate very little.
       And uncle, you must bring him back by next Sunday, in the morning itself".

  Was struck by two aspects:-
   
                (i) the deep bond between the grandfather and his grandson.
               (ii) kochachan's excitement to come to our place.

   Am deeply humbled!

 (c) I was to do it!

 I'd set off for my customary evening walk even though dark, rain clouds were slowly filling up from
 the west. And wondered as to whether I could beat it. Well, as it turned out to be, I'd just finished
 my usual circuit when the rain came pouring!

 I think the weather played ball with me and had ensured that I completed the much needed(?) work
 out after a laid back week!!


Tailpiece.

All in all, a hectic Sunday that I'd thoroughly enjoyed!


No comments:

Post a Comment