Sunday, July 14, 2013

An embarrassing faux pas.

It was well past afternoon when a classmate of mine had called up to find out as to whether we're game for an evening visit to yet another classmate of our's who'd recently joined the ever growing tribe of the 'grandfather's club' from among us. I decided to squeeze in the visit before the arrival of our guests, who're expected later in the evening, to our place, for an overnight stay.

To be on time, I'd stepped out on my customary walk a tad earlier than usual and sure enough, Lekha did receive a call from a friend of our's wondering as to whether I wasn't a bit too early for my evening sojourn. Seemingly, they'd driven past me on their way home. They must have surmised that I was sorta' mad to be out on exercise with the sun - yes, for a change there was a respite in the rains - still shining brightly!

We're ready and had set off for our destination at the appointed hour. The traffic was sparse and smooth flowing and we're on the doorbell of our friend's house within a matter of half an hour. We'd carried two sets of gifts - an assortment of infant's clothes - on my prodding that the new arrival was a baby boy.

It was after exchanging pleasantries and on talking to the 'new' mother that we came to know that her bundle of joy was indeed a baby girl. The culprit for the faux pas was your's truly and if looks could have killed me I'd have become memory thanks to the collective stares that said, 'Come on, you couldn't have been so dumb?' And they all laughed and as though taking the cue, the little one too made some noise in her sleep. To me it appeared that she was telling me in her own cute way that I hadn't surprised her!

The others were quite sporting I must say. But it was yet another occasion when I'd wanted to shrink into my clothes!


Tailpiece.

Usually, I admit that I ain't sure and would have tried to ascertain the facts to avoid an embarrassment. Why was I so sure, in this case? I still can't fathom!      

No comments:

Post a Comment