Wednesday, July 31, 2013

From here and there....

It was a normal day like any other. I'd fetched up at work, a trifle earlier than usual as there was an appointment that had to be kept at any cost. Just as I'd finished clearing the morning clutter, my friend and classmate had arrived to make it in time for bidding our final adieu to another classmate's mother. The time given to us was 1000 h after which the funeral cortege was to leave for the cremation grounds. But by the time we could get through the busy morning traffic and the narrow lanes towards Fort Kochi, it was 20 mts past 10.

 (a) She was waiting for us.

 We're in two minds as to whether we should proceed to the cremation grounds direct, since we're late or to          
 fetch up at the house anyways and then, proceed onward. Thankfully, the old lady was lying in state and me
 and my friend were the last guys to file past her and offer her our prayers. As I stood mumbling my prayer
 without taking my eyes off her, she seemed to be telling me, "You kept me waiting, but I knew that you'd
 come to see me".

 And we followed her to the cremation grounds. The connected ceremonies didn't take much time and soon,
 the body was kept on the pyre and the fire had engulfed it all too soon. Her familiar visage had become
 history. Our friend and classmate seemed to be collected and composed but his son was sobbing
 uncontrollably, all through!

 (b) Axed for doing her duty.

 The sacking of Durga Shakti Nagpal, the 28 yr old Sub-Divisional Magistrate of the Gautam Budh
 Nagar(NOIDA) of Uttar Pradesh, shows the callousness of vote bank politics. Actually, she'd taken on
 the might of the sand mafia that had unbridled political patronage. But to put wool into the eyes of the
 public, the administration has cited the inciting of communal tempers because she'd ordered demolition
 of a wall around a mosque, at the Kadalpur village, with JCBs.

 And the fact was that the villagers had brought down the illegal structure on their own volition after the
 discussions initiated at the behest of the young lady!

 O! The games politicians play to snare votes!!

 I'm sure the gritty SDM will get back her chair eventually.


Tailpiece.

Today's the 31st remembrance day of the late Mohammad Rafi. Without doubt, he continues to live in us through his memorable numbers!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment