Saturday, July 20, 2013

Unnecessary melancholia and other stories!

I shall put across a collage of thoughts that seem to be crowding my mind at this instant of time. Most of them can be classified as trivia but get them off my chest, I must.


1. Oh, these soaps!

I've often been pulling my friends' legs on seeing their serious attachment to the television soaps that they watch and used to be quite amazed when their moods dipped or soar when things happened negatively or positively for their favourite characters. I'd always maintained that I never got seriously involved in the fair on offer and usually watched them as a time pass.

But much to my chagrin and surprise, I found that I too am falling into the same vicious cycle that I used to tom tom myself as being free from. I'm speaking with particular reference to 'Kunkumappoovu' on Asianet and 'Utharan' on Colours. The way the protagonists - who were liked for their clear thinking and principled stands - flip unexpectedly and switch their stands to something that they shouldn't be doing brings about a sense of frustration. To my horror I realised that I was getting addicted and was guilty of the same lapse as that of my friends of which I'd been critical all along!

Et tu Rajeev?

2. Delhi afloat.

It was once again sad to see the plight of the Delhiites going about their lives on a day of the deluge. Continuous rains had thrown the traffic out of gear and water had accumulated on the roads with levels going above that of the cars' bonnets, at certain places. It gave me mixed feelings - bad to see familiar places that I used to frequent not long ago in a pathetically helpless condition and glad that I was far away from it all!

I'm sure that those vehicles have to be taken to their respective service stations for a thorough overhaul before being put to further use.

Why didn't they show the airport and its premises? Or did I miss out on the grabs?

3. When the young 'un takes wings.

Achu, my nephew, was off to Hyderabad as he was embarking on the next phase of his life after having completed his course in engineering. His mother - and I'm sure, his father too but he managed to keep his emotions masked - was sad that soon he'd be on his own and that his presence amid them would be reduced to occasional trysts, dictated by his professional requirements.

Lekha and me had a long chat with them over the telephone to bring down their agony but I doubt as to whether we'd accomplished anything. Only time, I guess, would do the needful.


Tailpiece.

I'm reminded of a friend's hastily scribbled scrawl on my autograph connecting a few of the works of the 'Bard of Avon' and I quote,
   
       "Life is neither a tempest nor a midsummer night's dream. It's a comedy of errors and you can make it
        as you like it".  

No comments:

Post a Comment