Friday, July 12, 2013

Snippets of the day.

I'm touching upon certain snippets of the news of the day that touched me deep within. And here I go....


1. Adieu Pran saheb.

The legendary actor and as cited by many, the charming villain, Pran passed into the mist of time this evening at Bombay. He was 93 and had been ailing for awhile. He was the reigning villain in the Hindi movie world when I was a school going kid. I can never forget him in his roles in the movies 'Purab aur Paschim' and 'Zanjeer' to name just a couple out of the 400 odd roles that he'd essayed during his lifetime. I remember having been so incensed with him while viewing the movie 'Ram aur Shyam' in which he whips the meeker Dilip Kumar without mercy and if it were possible, I'd have snatched that whip myself and thrashed him then. Not to forget the movie 'Kasauti' in which he acts as a gorkha and sings that memorable number, 'Hum bolega tho bologe ki bolta hai....' I guess I can go on and on....

The uniqueness of his 'villainy' on screen was that he played by certain rules and principles. No doubt, it was dictated by the trends of the times compared to the nasty and detestable villains of today! And he carried it off with an elan.

RIP Pran saheb. My humble homage and prayers for a great actor and here's wishing you peace in eternity!

2. 'Malala day'.

Pakistani teenager, Malala Yousafzai, who was shot in the head and seriously injured by the Taliban a few years back, celebrated her 16th birthday in style. She was given life saving treatment in the UK where she now lives. Today, she told the United Nations in her first public speech after the assassination attempt on her, that she would not be cowed down by terrorists. A spunky girl, I must say, and how I wish that her own country could take a strong stand like her against terrorism.

The United Nations has declared 12 Jul - her birthday - as 'Malala day' taking into account her courageous stand against terrorism of any kind.

Malala, you've shown real guts and steely countenance. May there be many more like you!


Tailpiece.

Reflective yet encouraging, to sum up today's mixed feelings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment