Thursday, July 25, 2013

Remembering Ammachi....

Exactly, 22 yrs back, I lost my Ammachi - my mom's mom - who'd passed into the mist of time around 2123 hrs on this cursed day of 1991. A noble soul whose needs were minimal and she'd always endeavoured to give and being her eldest grandson, I was fortunate to receive her unrestricted love. We're more of friends and I could discuss anything and everything with her - my hopes, fears and apprehensions. She used to wait for my return on recess - from the boarding school - to see movies and also to be taken to the doctor for her ailments. And as a run up she'd stop going to  movies with the others of the family, at least one month before my arrival, so that we could see them together.

25 Jul '91......She was sinking and from eye-witness accounts, she knew that it was time for her final journey. It'd begun like any other day, she'd washed her clothes, had her bath and had gone about her usual chores. But by evening she was tired and was lying on the sofa watching her favourite programme on television. A palpable wheezing sound was accompanying her breathing and by about a quarter to 8, my uncle was taking her to the hospital and as she was getting into the car, my grandfather had told her something which he regretted till his end and I quote, "Don't worry, nothing will happen to you. You'll only go after me". Three hours later, her lifeless body was brought into the house! I can understand the misery that Muthachan went through then, which he'd narrated to me, much later, in one unguarded moment.

My uncle had driven her to the nearest hospital about which she'd a poor opinion. It was there that she'd undergone a few moments of uncontrolled spasms and had tried to remove her clothes. The doctor who'd come to attend her had instructed my uncle and the others that she be taken to a bigger hospital without delay. She'd lapsed into silence as the car sped towards the Sri Uthradom Thirunal hospital and as they crossed the gate, her last question to my kid sister, Minni was as to where they'd reached and she seems to have registered the name of the hospital on hearing it. That was her last bit of communication. She was quickly wheeled into the ICU and despite emergency medical aid that was administered, the doctors couldn't save her.

Ammachi had kept her tryst with destiny.

From then on, this day has been a cursed one.

........Even though I'd kept myself busy the whole day, I found that I was drifting into those wonderful times and memories that only I was privy to, that had come flooding by without restraint. Would you believe me if I were to tell you that I miss you even to this day, Ammachi? And how do I let you know it?


Tailpiece.

Once I'd seen my grandmother signing as 'C Chempakakutty Amma' - her maiden name - on a document and I was curious because she always signed her name as 'Mrs PN Panicker'. It was after a bit of coaxing that she revealed that she'd had a tiff with Muthachan on the previous day and that she wanted him to know that she had an identity of her own and didn't require his name for props!      

No comments:

Post a Comment