Thursday, August 22, 2013

All in a day's work.

I'd got up groggily a trifle late this morning and it was because I'd gotten up around a half past 4, just like that and since I was awake, had gone around to see as to whether mom was comfortable and she was. That unscheduled interruption in sleep had caused the delay but I could still give her the morning cuppa at the designated time.

Lekha was away to attend her cousin's engagement ceremony for which all the three of us were slated to go but mom and me had pulled out at the last minute as mom was still not fit to travel!

At work, I'd gone through everything that required immediate attention before I set off on another errand which was inescapable. My friend, Basil's son, Arun was getting married to his friend of the last three years, Mary at the St Mary's Basilica Cathedral. Basil and his family are based at New Delhi, had very few relations and friends out here and hence his emphasis - during the invite - that we should attend without fail to enhance the bridegroom's crowd of relatives, friends and well wishers! And as I'd said earlier, I love the charm, the customs and the traditions that are associated with a church wedding. With Basil's aid, I was able to meet up with the people of the 'inner circle' and my quip over Mary's height - that I hate being looked down upon by women - drew peels of laughter from her and everybody around, which was eagerly snapped up by the shutterbugs in attendance. And I'd again regretted, albeit for a minutely small while, for being in the limelight for no rhyme or reason!

And it was back again at work in preparation and fine tuning things for my trip to Madras that's coming up. I'd kept my lunch purposely light, despite the exquisite spread on offer, to ward off sleep during the afternoon session.

The rest of the afternoon and the evening had meandered through with me doing the usual stuff. And just before turning into bed, was lucky to catch up with two lovely numbers on television:-

       (a) "Do sitaron ka zameen par ye milan aaj ki raat......." from the Dilip Kumar, Meena Kumari starrer
             'Kohinoor' and
       (b) "Saawan ka mahina pawan kare soru...................." from the Sunil Dutt, Nutan starrer 'Milan'.



Tailpiece.

Earlier in the evening, I was appalled by a footage shown by Arnab Goswami on prime time news about the ruckus caused by the Chinese troops recently, somewhere on the Arunachal Pradesh border. And the remarkable thing that stood out was the calm, resolute and matured manner in which a young Major of the Indian Army had tackled the situation that could have gone out of hand otherwise. Way to go young man, the  nation is proud of you! It's leaders like you who give the entire nation a peaceful and comfortable night's sleep!!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment