Saturday, August 31, 2013

Today's a sad day for me!

An overwhelming feeling of sadness has engulfed me on hearing that one of the guys involved in the 'Nirbhaya' gang rape case of 16 Dec, last year has been found guilty of the charges but since he was a juvenile at the time of the crime, he has been given a jail term of three years in a 'correction home'.

I suppose the Juvenile Justice Board was on a tight leash thanks to its definition of a 'juvenile'. And in this case, from what is known, it was he who was the most brutal of them all in inflicting injury to the hapless young lady after violating her sexually. So, a nagging doubt lingers in me as to whether the punishment that has been meted out to him is adequate for him to be rectified ever! So, I'd like to take the view that he's mentally very, very sick and there's nothing much that will be achieved by giving him the harshest punishment. But having said that I'd like to add a caveat - is there any point in a guy like him languish through life with his 'Mr. Hyde' persona?

Am I sounding confused? I sure am because of the overwhelming thought that we, Indians, have collectively let Nirbhaya down.

It's my fond hope that when the court hands over its verdict to the remaining four, it would take an overall view of the case and look at the 'juvenile' from an altogether new light, so that he's dealt with appropriately! I'm sure there'd be a way out and I, for one, am anticipating something that would convince all of us that the young lady's sad end was not in vain. It would also send a clear warning of fear to all potential rapists.


Tailpiece.

In the meanwhile, I'd like to assure Nirbhaya's family that I, too, am going through their agony and pray that their daughter gets her justice ultimately!   

No comments:

Post a Comment