Friday, August 2, 2013

Eternal love...

I'm gonna touch upon two stories for their relevance as of date. And so, here I go:-

(a) Eternal love.

 Kurup kochachan has been with me ever since last Sunday. I only hope that he's enjoying his stay with us.
 Today, he's been on a day long fast sipping water every now and then. I'd pleaded with him to avoid such
 a harsh punishment for his body, at 87 yrs, but he was insistent and said that he'd been keeping the fast,
 every month on the day of the 'ekaadasi' after his wife's - my ma'asi's - passing away!

 What pleasantly surprised me was his steadfastness and he'd rounded up the day by having a couple of
 bananas for supper. His current personality is a far cry from what he's earlier when he used to pull his wife's
 legs for being religious, for fasting on occasions and he abhors visits to religious places!

 He'd opened up to me, saying that by undergoing the fast he felt closer to his wife and had a tremendous
 satisfaction that he's doing something for her. And with a rather straight face, he'd also conceded that he
 didn't mind dying in the course of going through such a harsh penance! He was regretting that he'd not
 expressed his love, so explicitly, to his wife when she was alive.

 My take.

    (a) Leela kunjamma would be very happy, wherever she is, at this point of time.
    (b) Is this a case of 'absence making the heart grow fonder'? No, I ain't being harsh.
    (c) Why're we generally parsimonious in our expressions of our nicer feelings to the people that matter,
         only to regret it later?
    (d) Or is it a case of eternal love as I'd like to believe?


 (b) Adieu, Dakshinamurthy swamy!

 V Dakshinamurthy, all of 94 years, passed away this evening at Madras at about 1830 h. He has set
 the tunes for over 850 songs in 125 Malayalam films over a span of about 55 years and his debut was
 in the movie 'Nalla Thanka' in 1950. He was one of those rare composers to use pure classical, raga-based
 tunes for romantic numbers.

 He, indeed, was a colossus in his field. Kurup kochachan was very close to him and as he heard the news
 on television, he was in tears.

 RIP, Dakshinamurthy Swamy! My humble salute and prayers to a maestro par excellence. Your numbers
 will live on forever in the hearts of the generations to come for their sheer splendour and unique texture!


Tailpiece.

1. On a personal level, I shall ever remain indebted to Dakshinamurthy swami. His number, "Paattu paadi urakkaam njaan......." from the movie 'Seetha' was the lullaby that my mom used to sing for me, every time
she used to rock my cradle during my infant days.

2. And no, I ain't speaking from hindsight. I was out on my evening walk as usual and it must have been a few minutes past 1830 hrs, when the legend was passing into the mist of time and no, I wasn't aware of the news tickers that must have been coming in then! I was humming the lullaby that I was familiar with. Was that a coincidence?

No comments:

Post a Comment