Sunday, August 11, 2013

Naina's first party!

It's Naina's first party - her 28th day celebrations. We'd got the invite well in time with a rider that no reasons for our absence would be entertained! And sure enough, there were the entire families of her parents in their Sunday best for the joyous occasion. The rain god was also on a pleasant disposition, as it was a bright and sunny day.

We'd reached the venue on the dot and therefore, were able to witness the series of events meticulously planned by the li'l child's parents and in the process, could meet a whole lot of people. Many people present, recalled our earlier visit - in fact our first, four years back on the occasion of the engagement ceremony of Naina's parents. Dad was with us then, but he'd severe restrictions in his locomotion thanks to an aggravated Parkinson's syndrome. He'd to be carefully got out of the car, assisted in his movements including the intake of food lest he dropped a morsel on himself while meeting and making conversation with the people who'd made it a point to meet the patriarch. I never knew at that moment that there were many out there who'd taken note of us.

Today, as I helped mom around - she's in bad shape requiring assistance at every moment - there were many who found striking similarities with the scenes of my dad's first visit - and sadly, his last too. I suppose, it was bound to happen. My kid sister, Rema who was with us, hush-hushed into my ears that I was becoming popular by the minute, among the audience, in the manner I was assisting mom! I could only give a weak grin in retort because I couldn't understand what the fuss was all about as I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary.

It was an emotional trip to my grand aunt's place who was in deep sleep and did not register when we'd called out her name. Sustaining only on fluids, her condition continues to be critical - what a change it has been from our visit over a month back, when she'd held on to my hand and inquired about a host of things!?


Tailpiece.

The evening get together of my classmates went off well. It's nice meeting up with Yedu and his wife, Raji and thankfully, the attendance was good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment