Thursday, August 15, 2013

The 67th Independence day.

This year's Independence day has turned out to be quite memorable for more ways than one! A joyous occasion, unfortunately, marred by tragic incidents.

The wake of the Sindhurakshak tragedy is still fresh in memory as the sequence of events keep tumbling out making me wonder as to why it had to happen. As the 'pilot error' syndrome keeps buzzing I can't help but feel sad for the crew who must have seen their ends rushing at them at one unearthly moment - only to be engulfed in its fury and the inevitable finale!

And at about a half past 8, this morning, Madhu's amma had passed into the mist of time. She was 'amma' to me and our association had begun, on a dark wintry night of Delhi, about six years ago. Madhu, my friend and colleague, had called me up to say that his mom was in a bad state and as to whether I could help him take her to the Army Research & Referral hospital, nearby, for urgent medical attention. His car was down with the mechanic and hence, the request.

Those days I was a truck driver - I mean, the proud owner of a Maruti Omni! I'd swung around and the old lady was handed over to the capable doctors of the hospital. In her early 80s, after a successful treatment for cancer, her metabolic readings needed to be closely monitored and regulated, from time to time. I was always fascinated with her ever smiling visage despite her adversities. And from Madhu's account, she'd looked after her ailing husband for many years without worrying about her own personal comforts!

The two of us had developed a special bond since that cold night, so much so, that she'd announced at her grandson's wedding reception, this January, that she liked me much more than she did her son. And Madhu'd accepted it sportingly!

Yesterday, she was admitted into the naval hospital here as her parameters had gone for a toss with a serious renal malfunction. By evening she was shifted into the ventilator and buttoned up to life support systems. There had been previous occasions of a similar nature when she'd fought the odds and returned. I was hoping for her similar comeback only to be told about her end, this morning.

RIP, amma. My humble prayers and gratitude for the wonderful memories that you've given me.


Tailpiece.

An Independence day that has been a harbinger of painful memories.    

No comments:

Post a Comment