Thursday, November 21, 2013

Back home.

Palai, my saarthi, had done the trick. We'd left by about 9 for the airport and the road had some real narrow stretches, thanks to the metro rail work of Madras. How our man managed to reach the airport by about 40' was something that had dazed me completely. He could speed even while driving bumper to bumper, almost giving one the impression that he'd shove the rear of the car in front of him to suit his convenience and the motorists who'd a whiff of his driving skills didn't seem to mind, in fact they seem to be deferential to his prowess.

Incidentally, going back to the metro work in the city, I happened to read in the TOI that the tunnel boring machine's activities have been causing cracks and massive damages to the buildings enroute. But the 'Madrasis' - the people living in the city, I mean - have taken such happenings very, very sportingly as they feel that the coming of the metro is ultimately, gonna be a boon to the city as well as for all of them. This positive attitude of the people of Madras is their 'usp'!

Devinder Singh, who was specifically assigned to take care of me was a tall, handsome sardar from Gurdaspur. The smile on his face seemed to be there forever and in his olive greens, he looked smart and he has a heart that can't hurt even a fly as I understood his persona over the last eighteen hours of our association. And to let you into a secret - never did I feel embarrassed for being short statured as he gave me a crisp salute when I left them towards the departure lounge of the airport. I've already stated elsewhere that I hate being 'looked down upon' by women and by people who look up to me!

The flight was uneventful and short. And after a quick bite of lunch, I was back at work trying to finish up the backlog as the clock has started ticking towards my farewell opera. Today was one when I wished that a day had indeed more than 24 hours. Ramesh Rai, from Gopalganj of Bihar, was my saarthi for the day and boy, he'd scorched the 34 km distance from the airport to my home in record time. I'd congratulated him earlier because he's of a rare species and lucky to have married his lady love at the tender age of 23! I said a quick prayer to my god for safeguarding him and his wife because, I'm convinced that they deserve it. As I left him and got into the lift of my block, he was grinning from ear to ear and gave me a fond farewell.


Tailpiece.

Am I sounding too mushy. Hope I am not!



No comments:

Post a Comment