Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The world is indeed small.

Two things that happened today cannot be forgotten - the first was because I'd not done enough homework and the second was a matter of coincidence, coupled with a bit of carefully done homework!

My uncle and aunt had to go to Chengannur in preparation for their grandson's wedding and had decided to go by the Kerala Express from New Delhi, passing through Ernakulam by 0930h. And I'd dropped them at the railway station about 15 minutes before the train's arrival time. Because of the parking woes, I'd bid them bye and made my way to the office.

I'd come to know that the train was late by an hour and a half when my uncle had called me to announce his arrival at the destination by about a quarter past 2.

Felt miserable, because I should have checked the train's schedule before taking them to the railway station. Bad show!

My mom had to got to a local bank for her 'life certificate' as she's a family pensioner. Based on prior homework, we could reach the bank at the appointed hour, with mom, to complete the formalities. The whole rigmarole didn't last more than 10 minutes despite the fact that my mom's pension account was actually at the bank's branch near my dad's house near Kottarakkara.

As we're through with the necessary endorsements and online submission of the certificate to the parent branch, the manager and I came to know that we're from the same school. And then it was on to our journey down memory lane.


Tailpiece.

The spat within the scientific community that the Mars mission is nothing to be proud of, as nothing much is being achieved in terms of new equipment/systems being tried out, has been a dampener. The continued dependence on the PSLV rocket is also being bandied as something that could have been replaced by the indigenous cryogenic engine!

A case of showmanship without substance or is it a wilful clash of egos? The British press has also not been very enthusiastic about the 'Mangalyaan'! 

No comments:

Post a Comment