Saturday, November 9, 2013

Two differing commitments.

A day when two differing social commitments had to be met.

Am driving and shall fill in with the details after I reach the destination.....

And finally, the story.....

The first event was a wedding engagement ceremony and the guy who was involved was Sakthi, Lekha's nephew who's taken up a job in Bahrain. His engagement with Gopika was a simple ceremony involving a close clutch of friends and relatives. And the morning drive from our place was indeed a long one through narrow, dusty roads towards Kallada. It was nice meeting up with Lekha's folks after what seemed to be a long time. The conversations were lively and catching up with folks was not only interesting but a requisite after the long hiatus! The elders look healthy and majestic and though age has taken its toll, their spirits continue to be alive and kicking.

The effortless return drive and a short snooze were enough for us to take on the next commitment - offer our condolences to the family of the 94 year old Saraswathi Amma, who'd passed away about 10 days back. An aristocratic lady who had a pleasant countenance and exchanged happiness with the others despite her physical discomfort. She used to tell me that she liked her interactions with me! I said my small prayer for her at the newly made mount of mud where her physical remains were consigned to the flames last week and a gentle breeze blew past, at that very instant, making me feel her presence.

RIP Vidya's Achamma. I shall always remember your smiling face and the wonderful things that you've told me and above all, miss your inquisitiveness about the way the things were going for me. My humble prayers.


Tailpiece.

Since the stretch of road was bad, we'd taken an autorickshaw to go to Vidya's house. Thank god we did so, my Chevy would have been badly mauled had I insisted on driving it.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment