Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Persuading mom.

This morning I'd taken my mom for a review by her doctor of her overall physical and medical status. And this time it was just mom and me as we hurtled towards the clinic to keep the appointment as my man, Friday had gotten late. He had, however, joined up later. I was reminded of the first time, about three months back when I'd taken her to meet with the doctor.

Hardly able to walk, I'd taken the services of two of my boys to help me in transferring her from one place to the other. The doctor's correct prognosis and mom's readiness to follow his instructions along with the medicines have done the trick. He's thrilled with the progress his patient has made and as usual, they're in conversation, totally oblivious of me. He's expressed his desire to see her once in two months.

I'd wanted to have this review done to day as mom was being shifted to my sister's place at Palakkad for the next one month or so as we go through the throes of shifting berth to our house at Guruvayur from Kochi. As we got back into the car, I saw mom tell Joginder and Bijoy that all they needed to do was to walk with her as she could do it herself. She'd another appointment soon after with her dentist to have the stitches removed, post extraction.

And much later, as I helped her pack her personal effects she had wondered aloud as to why she couldn't be with us while we're shifting and I'd to explain to her the tremendous strain that she'd be subjected to in the process. I'd to keep going over it many a time that at some point, I'd lost my patience and howled at her - I'm bad and continue to be so, you see! And then told myself that I couldn't afford to lose my cool and definitely, not at mom. But knowing her, I know that she'd never hold that misdemeanour of mine against me. And I was unable to convince her on the thoughts behind my decision.


Tailpiece.

As she got up after watching her favourite soap on the television, she'd given me a list of 'dos' for the morning before I went for my walk:-

    - "wake me up after the puja room lamp is lit
    - switch on the geyser for about 10' as I need warm water to bathe
    - should I've my medicines then and so on and so forth......"

And as she turned in, she said almost inaudibly, "I shall miss this".  

No comments:

Post a Comment