Sunday, July 13, 2014

A wet Sunday!

The day was simply wet in that it rained almost all through the day. In fact, it has been so for the last three days and I suppose the deficit in the monsoons has been reduced considerably or am I being unrealistic, without seeing the whole picture?

I'd spent a sizeable part of the day watching the rain and had settled down cosily with Colin Forbes' 'Tramp in armour', on my rocking chair. But the idyllic setting was not to last long with Lekha's help having to make a quick exit because of another death - the third in the last week - in her family. Then there was this uneasy input from my cousin that her mom had suddenly taken for the worse - a sudden lowering of her haemoglobin count with a bad urinary tract infection - necessitating her immediate shift into a hospital within Kochi. Her condition has steadied to some extent thanks to the immediate medical management, after almost four months of ayurvedic treatment, but at a terrible cost - her left leg has been amputated immediately below the knee, a condition that my cousin was trying to avoid all this while knowing fully well that it's gonna devastate her mom! She seemed to be inconsolable as I tried to speak to her over the telephone!

Meanwhile the fever of the 'World Cup' has reached a crescendo and from the information that I could tap from the people whom I'd come across during the day, I realised as a supporter routing for Germany, I was in a horrible minority. Argentina seems to be the hot favourites for most of the Keralites!

And it was young Nandu, the autorickshaw guy - who'd dropped me back home in the evening - who gave me the most plausible answer as to why he wanted Argentina to win and I quote, "This is Lionel Messi's last chance and the poor guy must lift the cup. Sir, I'm sure Argentina will". And I decided to remain silent.

I rejig my rigid stance and say, may the best team win! No, I ain't being fickle, I rooted for Brazil, you see!! But one of the most endearing scenes of this World Cup was the compassion shown by the German team to the broken Brazilian team, post match.


Tailpiece.

I didn't enjoy the evening walk as the pair of sports shoes - bought from one of the malls of Kuala Lumpur. Why not do a bit of name dropping, huh? - that I was wearing seemed to be porous below and my socks were wet half way through my walk. And mind you, the soles have no tear at all! An unwanted osmosis?!

No comments:

Post a Comment