Monday, July 21, 2014

Achu's decision.

 Achu, my nephew, was slated to go back to his parents at Palakkad and he was set to take the 9 o'clock passenger which would connect him to a north bound, super fast train from Thrissur on the main line. Accordingly, we'd set off to the railway station at half past 8. But after purchasing the ticket, he realised that he wanted to delay his departure to travel by the passenger at 1320h which would enable him to get a similar connect.

He seemed to be doubtful about my reaction and was very keen to know about it when I expressed happiness at his delaying his move so that he could spend more time with us!

And then for the second time, we'd left for the station after an early lunch and to utilise the available time, I'd taken him along with me to complete my bank job and soon after, saw him off on the train that rolled out of the station at its appointed hour.

The normal duration of the entire journey would have been around three hours and as per the estimates, I'd called him up to ascertain about his whereabouts when he told me that his train was delayed because of a faulty engine and that he was still far from his destination!

Finally, he did call up around 7 o'clock to say that he'd reached his home - six hours after I'd seen him off! I could only sympathise with him for his tough luck!!


Tailpiece.

A good amount of my time today was spent in reminiscing the lovely days at Agrani, Coimbatore. It was a 'happy ship' and all of us were very attached to each other, with the late Commander AC Jose being an effective and lovable second-in-command! When I'd rung up his residence to offer my condolences, his children, Reshma and Ramit spoke to me and they seemed to remember me as the uncle whose car had only two doors - I used to own a Standard Herald(Cleopatra) those days!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment