Tuesday, July 1, 2014

In search of your's truly....

I'd put everyone in a quandary during the course of my evening walk today. All because of my stubbornness in not carrying the cellphone while on my exercise outing because the calls that come in decelerate the momentum. And despite well meaning advice from friends and relatives, I've refrained from carrying it. Perhaps, the time has come for a rethink. Or not really?

It all began like this. Our neighbour, the Rajah family, sent us a basket of fruits and even though I'd decided to thank them over the telephone, it was Lekha who'd insisted that I must pay a visit to thank them for their gesture. And so, on the last lap of my walk, giving sufficient time for their evening prayers and meals, I'd rung the bell.

My interactions with the elderly gentleman - all of 73 yrs, badly diabetic in his own words and I'm fond of him - are something that I look forward to always. He's concerned about Lekha's health and at the outset, said that the entire family missed us during the past 11 days when our house had remained locked! There's no dearth of topics to discuss between us but I was keeping a track of time to ensure that I did not eat into his prayer time at a quarter past 8. The cue was when the entire family had trooped out to the nearby mosque for prayers after a brief exchange of pleasantries with me. The patriarch would say his prayers within the confines of his house.

As I'd entered the private road leading to my house I saw my second neighbour, the Air Marshal, coming out with his car. He seemed to be very, very agitated and did I see a look of relief on his face? And then he put across the story. Lekha and mom were worried when they didn't sight me back at my normal time of return. Panic button was pressed and the poor Air Marshal had come looking for me to assuage their distress.

In his usual style, using expletives, he'd told me in no uncertain terms that I must carry my cellphone on such occasions! And I was still unsure as to whether I was in the wrong!!


Tailpiece.

The reactions from the folks around just show their concern for me. It gave me a nice feeling and a sense of being wanted. But will I carry my cell phone from now on? Maybe no......I can be as stubborn as a mule, you see?!        

No comments:

Post a Comment