Friday, July 25, 2014

Remembering my ammachi, Mrs PN Panicker.

Exactly 23 years back on this very same wretched day, my grandmother had passed into the mist of time. The sad fact was that I was doing a course at Ooty and my folks considered it prudent not to inform me lest it would affect my performance! Little did they realise that a significant part, deep within me, had died that day. I could never think of a single day without her because she'd meant so much to me.

I mean, how can I ever forget all that she'd done for me like:-

    (a) She'd taken the role of my mom as she'd gone on to take up the job of a post mistress in my dad's
          village.
    (b) She used to help me with my uniform, watch me go along with the teacher till we turned around the
          bend and would be in that same position when we returned from school in the evening.
    (c) The way she'd cried when I left home to join the boarding school in class VII.
    (d) The food - my favourites - that were prepared everyday from day one of my vacation.
    (e) The movies - usually, the matinee shows - that we used to go and watch. We'd the same favourites,
          in terms of actors and actresses, you see!
    (f)  She'd wait for my return, on vacation, to see the family doctor for her ailments. But sadly, she didn't
          tell me about her problematic heart at all.

What's more remarkable was that she'd showered her unrestrained love and affection on me when she'd a son - my second uncle, who's six months younger to me! And the beauty about it is that he has never grudged it even to this day, which is a testimony of his greatness!!

RIP, Ammachi! I'll continue to miss you till my very end because I've learnt what love is, from you.


Tailpiece.

Twenty three years have not weathered my deep bonds for her. I can feel her around me every time I think about her and probably, she's around me as I punch in these thoughts!  

No comments:

Post a Comment