Thursday, February 25, 2016

A long and interesting day.

The day had begun at 5 and after going through my chores, Anto's auto rickshaw fetched me up at the railway station, in time, for the quarter to 7 local but not before Lekha'd packed my breakfast, which I had at the Thrissur railway station's waiting room during my hour long wait for the onward train.

Meanwhile, I'd fallen a victim to my absentmindedness. I'd bought the day's newspapers and an India Today but while paying the vendor, had kept them at the counter and forgot about them as I clambered onto the train. That the train continued to be at the platform for more than 5' and I'd taken a seat just opposite the vendor's stall didn't ring the requisite bell in my mind. But soon after the train had started moving, everything came in a flashback leaving a helpless me, as nothing could be done for retrieving the reading material!

I'd, meanwhile, altered my plans on the advice of my Director, whereby, I'd got down at Chengannur where Binoy and Vishnu, with the Qawalis, were waiting. It was a half an hour's journey to the venue of the meeting and I made my first tryst with history for the day. The 'Desasevini Library', perched on the highway at Kulakada was set up by my grandfather in 1948 and as I was being taken into the hall, I saw him smiling from a photograph of his, displayed prominently! Ravindran Pillai sir, the President of the Library, held me in a tight embrace on hearing about my ancestry as he was closely associated with my grandfather in the 'Library Movement'. He gave me an anecdote...

"Since the library was on the highway, Panicker sir used to visit whenever he passed by and on one such visit, seeing the muck of smoked cigarette and beedi butts, he'd grabbed a broom and started cleaning up the area when I and another took over the cleanship! "

The meeting with about 60 odd women trainees was winding up because I was late and I'd begun my short interaction, apologising for the same. There was no looking back and I'd the audience interacting freely with me, thereafter. The next unit was about 12 km further south, where the septuagenarian, Babykutty sir, the prime mover of the organisation, broke down recalling his association with Panicker sir and made a moving statement that he felt my grandfather's presence through me! I held him because I'd no words in return! He's asked me for a truss work on the building, to prevent leaks in the building's roof and a well, within the premises, for potable water. His needs have been put in my scribble pad for early disposal.

And, then, we're off to Kollam - but not before a fleeting visit and interaction with our people at another of our units at Neduvathur - for the two meetings to chalk out our activities for the next financial year and to streamline business rules. A quick bite of lunch and the deliberations at the Sopanam Auditorium took us till about a half past 5, after which we'd gone to the beach to beat the oppressive heat and while away time till my train chugged in from Thiruvananthapuram at 1835 hrs.


Tailpiece.

1. Hectic, but I enjoyed every minute!
2. While at the beach, I met Mr. Shukoor, my director's friend and to my surprise, who also happened to be a colleague of my dad's youngest brother, Narendran kochachan, at the Indian Rare Earths.

No comments:

Post a Comment