Monday, February 8, 2016

A wide range of activities.

I'd got up fairly early in the morning as Maman had packed in a lot of activities. We're off from home by a half past 7 because our meeting with the chief minister had to take place before 0830h, when he'd leave for the Assembly to attend the day's session. The Qawalis refused to start and we'd to push it for a while to start it in gear and I'd started perspiring with my day's clothes on - a situation that I detested. Breakfast had to be shunned to keep the appointment.

Despite the initial hiccups, we reached 'Cliff House', the residence of the chief minister in time. Padmakumar, a member of our staff at the Foundation and a person well versed with the goings on at such occasions told us to edge into the inner chamber after getting clearance from the security guys. We could, thus, meet the CM and hand over the papers about the 'PN Panicker Institute for Social Workers and Development', for which, the students for the first two batches of courses were being interviewed tomorrow. We're the last ones who could meet him and what was heartening to see was the old man's pleasant demeanour despite his hectic schedule. There was a sizeable crowd who had to be satisfied in meeting his private secretary and hand over their requests to him! We sure had short cut the system and no cheers for that!

The Qawalis was pushed, yet again, and brought back to life by a couple of off duty policemen, who're part of the CM's security detail, damn sweet of them! Our next stop was at the Foundation to collect a few more relevant papers and we met the Deputy Speaker and the Education Minister in that order. Breakfast was wolfed in between the two visits, phew! It almost turned out to be a ritual that had to be completed! Meanwhile, my new 'saarthi', Binoy had fetched up from Paravoor.

Around 12, I and Binoy had set off for Paravoor for my interaction at the organisation that I'd taken charge recently. After about two hours and a quick lunch, I could set about my work without of course, the Director who was away at Kollam, on an errand. Listening to the feedback and after taking stock of the activities, I'd gone to meet my uncle and be with him for a while. He and the male nurse tending him are the occupants of the huge house which was once filled with people and laughter, My uncle looks nice and is in good spirits. After taking his consent it was decided that Binoy would park the vehicle in his premises because of three reasons viz.:-

     - the security of the vehicle was assured and it could be washed down everyday
     - the office premises were just within a circle of 5 kms and
     - the boy's house was pretty close too!

Binoy had dropped me at the railway station and gone back to park at my uncle's place and secure from there. My train was about an hour and twenty minutes late and therefore, I'd plenty of time to sit at the platform and contemplate........

      - remembered my childhood days when I and my cousins used to spend our vacations at Paravoor
      - the eagerness with which the late Leela kunjamma used to host us
      - the abundance of the mangoes and other fruits to indulge upon.

Sadly, I'd forgotten to pray at Leela kunjamma's cremation site while leaving, wonder why? Perhaps, my long wait at the station was the consequence!

Had reached Thiruvananthapuram before 8 and Omanakuttan was there at the exit as pre-arranged. We'd, then, gone to meet Mukundettan - a BJP leader and a good friend - and the discussions went on till about 10 with him insisting that I must involve myself in spiritual activities connected to the Guruvayur temple. He was quite thrilled to know that we stayed there and has promised to visit us when he came in next!


Tailpiece.

It's hectic, but was happy that I could finish the backlog of work  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment