Saturday, February 20, 2016

A train of guests.

Indira Kunjamma and gang had left, after breakfast, by 9. They'd lined up visits to three temples in the vicinity and by the time they finally shaped course for Thiruvananthapuram it was a half past 12. A call from her, as they were leaving the temple town, was evident that they're completely satisfied with their short trip.

And then trooped in my cousin, Kala and her family. She'd told us of a whirlwind trip a few days ago but had called us this morning to say that they'd have lunch with us! Accordingly, they're at our door by a half past 12 and the first thing that she did was to invite us for her son, Abhilash's wedding on 21 Mar. After an hour or so of post lunch interaction, they left for Palakkad by a half past 2.

We're barely into our siesta when my toothy, Dr. Chary, had called up to say that the new dentures had arrived and would I make it to the clinic for its fitment? So, after a quick cup of tea, I'd made a dash. He has a new assistant in Louis, a pleasant youngster, who's marking time for his post graduation in dental surgery/'paedo' after a couple of months.

The toothy went about his work of fitting the bridge with a lot of care, grinding a tooth here and grinding another there so that the exact 'bite' could be achieved. It was a painstaking job and he made it a point to give me a running commentary on what he was doing and why. Damn sweet of him! He's known to be a quiet person but with me he's shown a propensity to converse, that too on a wide range of issues.

He'd told me after seeing the previous bridge that the 'spaces' between the denture/normal teeth and the small openings at its extremities could have been avoided, hinting at the comparative inexperience of my cousin - she was three years into her practice, then. Nothing more! But the fact's that both the bridges have been in situ for over seven years and the left one continues, without giving me problems! I'd still visit her for my dental checks while I'm at Thiruvananthapuram!!


Tailpiece.

1. Kala reached my sister's at Palakkad by a half past 6 while Indira kunjamma reached her place only by a half past 8. The latter's drive was halted at various places thanks to a series of temple processions in connection with their annual festivals.

2. The annual festival of Guruvayur had begun today with the interesting elephant race ('Aanayottam'). 24 pachyderms had participated, 5 were in the final race and Gopi Kannan (Actor Suresh Gopi's elephant) is the winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment