Friday, February 26, 2016

People are basically nice....

I go by my firm belief that everyone is basically nice, it's the circumstances that get the beasts out of individuals. So, the best way to get a work done is to appeal to that niceness!

This morning, I'd gotten ready, earlier than usual as I'd to run an errand - the follow up to yesterday's faux pas at the newspaper vendor at the railway station. I'd also clubbed the collection of the clothes from the dry cleaners which was due today. Since the auto rickshaw driver anticipated the closing of the railway level cross due to an imminent train, I'd asked him to head for the cleaners first only to be told by the lady, at the counter, that the clothes would fetch up by afternoon and that she'd inform me on arrival!

And then, it was the turn at the newspaper vendor's. It was the lady who was tending the vend and I narrated the story to her. My need was only to get the magazine and I'd suggested that she could keep the newspapers' cost as a punishment for my error(?). She'd immediately called up her husband who confirmed the story and told her to handover the magazine along with the day's newspapers! However much I insisted upon her to keep the newspapers, she was insistent that I took them and that was that! Vidyadharan and Valsala, you've been kind. Thanks!

          *                                       *                                       *

Since the Rashtrapatiji was having a 'darshan' at Guruvayur at 1600h, the traffic had been regulated since morning and consequently, the busy highway passing close by, was deserted most of the day. The 'Krishnanaattom' has become very popular and he and his group were entertained by the troupe soon after their visit to the sanctum sanctorum.

          *                                       *                                        *

Maman had called up to say that the public meeting scheduled for the 28th, at Thiruvananthapuram, had been cancelled and therefore, I could delay my trip by a day if I wanted and I happily chose that option! Poor Paulson had to juggle my train reservations accordingly.

          *                                       *                                        *

Manikandan, my Customer Service Adviser, rang up to tell me that the total bill for the repairs on my Chevy was Rs.56,818/- and that it had been sent to my insurance company for clearance and release. Sadly, I realised as to what a colossally bad driver I was to have brought in such serious damages to my car. The only saving grace was that no damage was inflicted upon the passengers! I vowed to myself that I'd be a patient driver from now on.

           *                                      *                                        *

Jayakrishnan, my point man at New Delhi, had reported that he'd gone to the concerned desk at the MoD armed with my letter, to sort out an issue regarding a 'No Demand Certificate', from the accommodation cell, to clear a pending audit of my personal accounts. The concerned officer had initially said that it was a misinterpretation at the 'Navpay' in Bombay that had caused the two year delay. He has, finally, agreed to send a letter to the Navpay on Monday. Phew! Thanks, Jayakrishnan, for the running around that you did for my sake.


Tailpiece.

Bernie had rung up this evening to tell me as to how his boorish neighbour was going out of his way to placate him, who seems to be intrigued and unsettled by Bernie's silence/social boycott! First was a series of forwards on his e-mail address followed by a telephone call asking for the 'TataSky' man's number and Bernie was sure, "He didn't need the number, he was just trying to reestablish communications."

    

No comments:

Post a Comment