Monday, February 1, 2016

At Raj Nivas.

It's pretty nippy out here, early in the morning and the fan had to be kept at the minimum speed. I'd gotten up a few minutes later than my usual time. Mom's warm water was got ready on the gas stove, monitored by Lekha. The soiled bedcovers had been soaked in soap water last night itself and they're ready for a scrub. The Chathannoor trip had to be dropped as Maman was not able to join me and his presence was required.

The Chevy was given a wash and then came in the guy who was buying away the old rubber trees of our compound. Tapping of the trees have long since been stopped as it's nomore economical and they were of the '80s vintage! The deal didn't take much time to be reached as I made it clear that I wasn't into haggling. The buyer gave me an advance of Rs. 10 grand with the promise of giving me the remaining 95 grand by 1700h tomorrow.

The sales proceeds will be equally shared between my sisters and me. I was reminded of the careful nurturing of the trees when they're saplings. We used to wish away strong monsoon winds because it could break the plants - the staywires, notwithstsnding! The trees had been an assured input to the family's coffers.

Mom has agreed to my plan to plant coconut trees and teak wood as the next set of crops.

The washing of clothes and finer cleanship was the responsibility of your's truly with a helper to assist while Lekha had gone to the Kottarakkara Ganapati kshetram. And visitors continued to drop by, keeping my mom in a perpetual state of thrill! Meanwhile, Vijayan, the caretaker, had got a team of three to pluck the coconuts and consequently, tender coconuts could be had to one's fill. It was thoroughly enjoyable.

Was it coincidental? I do not know but 85 year old Gopala Panicker - who used to pluck coconuts for us during his heydays, had dropped by seeing activity in the house. He was apprehensive about his age as he firmly believes that it's the usual age when people pass away! Assuring him that he'd many years to go, he was given his usual 'fair' and he clutched my hand for a long while before leaving us.

Just before sunset, Sheela had come to fine tune the cleanship done by yours truly.


Tailpiece.

My cousin, Soman, was the last visitor of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment