Sunday, January 31, 2016

Guruvayur to Kottarakkara via Kidangoor.

The day had started at 5, called up mom and we all got ready by 7. By a quarter past 7, we're off to my dad's place. Everything went like clockwork and I couldn't believe my luck in such a flawless get away, topping up my Chevy and checking her tyre pressure enroute. Then came two setbacks - the newspaper boy failed to deliver the day's papers as he'd promised yesterday and 25' into our run, my Chevy had a scrape with another car because of three reasons:-

    (a) I hadn't dusted my Chevy for the past couple of days and a combination of that film of dust
         and my sunglasses, reduced my vision. I'd accepted that reduction in my sight's efficiency
         because the early morning sun was beaming in through the windshield and the goggles were
         a must!
    (b) There was a private bus parked to the left and this car had indicated that it's turning to the right
          but at the last moment, the driver had swerved to his left scraping the right side of my car.
          Tinkering will be required for both the doors and the quarter as I sadly surveyed the damages!
    (c) I would put the overall blame squarely on my shoulders and many of you might say, "Hey here
         goes this guy again after getting into trouble because of his bad driving".

The car had five teenagers and I gave them my name, cell number and the address to contact me after I returned to Guruvayur on Wednesday. Were they surprised? I don't think so because this is normal behaviour expected of an elder and especially from a guy with a defence background!

I must admit that the rest of the journey was something that had dampened my spirits and I shall only get all right after I admit my Chevy at the service station on Thursday. 

We did reach my younger uncle's house at Kidangoor after a bit of route chasing towards the end. Actually, I was clueless as to which side of the town that the shortcut brought us! Seeing my cousin, glowing in her eighth month of pregnancy was nice and her parents went into a tizzy to look after us. Mom, too, was enjoying every bit of her stay!

We left at 2 and were at Lekha's ancestral house, in time, for tea. After interacting with her elder sister and family - the new grandparents  and the great grandmother from the child's paternal side who'd come from Rajapalayam - Lekha's dad and her uncle and aunt, we'd set off for Raj Nivas to reach there just before sunset. I'd my conversation with dad at his cremation site, as usual.

Seeing the house thrum with action, we'd a few visitors late into the evening, wanting to see mom and wasn't she thrilled?


Tailpiece.

It's been three and a half months since we're here. The excitement to be back was palpable. Tomorrow is a long day as I take off to Chathannoor, to see my domain, early in the morning while Lekha and mom have their own work at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment