Sunday, September 12, 2010

Amar Prem

I was delighted to watch the ageless Bengali classic and one of the Hindi movie superhits of the early '70s called 'Amar Prem'. Since it was another rainy day out here and Lekha's continued medical status requires her to avoid much of movement, going out of the comfortable environs of our house was simply out of the question.

And the national channel was beaming the movie as luck would have it. Amar Prem is a period film and the main protagonists - the rich,lonely bachelor and the 'tawaif'- played by Rajesh Khanna and Sharmila Tagore respectively, bring out the essence of the emotion of love in all its purity. All the numbers are simply superb.

Selfless love towards another is the ultimate expression that a human being can achieve during his lifetime. All doubts as to whether it's love or lust or a feeling coupled with both can be laid to rest if the meaning of 'selfless love' is understood. Have I achieved it? Shall keep you all under suspense for a little while more.

Nostalgia.

Just finished viewing a 20 minute video clip on the National Defence Academy. As familiar surroundings coupled with activities came into view, I was transformed back in time, to my cadet's days and was almost sure that I'd be able to recollect everyday of mine out there. And as the Passing out Parade was shown, I too felt that I was passing through the 'quarterdeck' once more against the haunting melody of 'Auld Lang Syne'. If I've another life, I'd like to repeat my days in the Academy all over again.

A case of 'Amar Prem', eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment