Friday, September 17, 2010

The national film awards

The national film awards have been announced. I hope there aren't any controversy on the jury's decision this time. Often, soon after the announcements are made, a lot of charges and countercharges are traded and on a couple of occasions, a few of the jury members themselves had gone public airing their dissent. By doing so two things are unwittingly brought about and they are:-
(a) the winner of the award loses the lofty pedestal that he's been placed on
(b) the award gets tainted.

Here's my felicitations to all the award winners and may there be many more to come for each one of them.

On a personal level, after every award function at the national level, I've been persistently left with a few unanswered questions which are :-
(a) Eventhough being a mallu, I'm quite thrilled that Malayalam films, alongwith the Bengali films have had a superior edge most of the times, what are the other language films doing? I simply can't believe that the others do not have it in them to do well.
(b) If the answer to the above is a 'nay'- though I can't believe it to be so - what are we doing to bring up the standards?
(c) And related to my doubts expressed above, do these awards really have a national flavour then?

No comments:

Post a Comment