Thursday, September 16, 2010

And now to a matchmaker's role!

In this life of ours, one has to don many roles and many a time, one’s left gasping for one’s breath at the end of it all. For the last 24 hours, I had to play the role of a matchmaker for a ‘beautiful MBA girl’(as passed on to me from an aunt of mine from Thiruvananthapuram) and a young naval officer(their ‘horror scopes’ had matched, so it seems) and I was to find out whether the boy was really good.
I’ve very diplomatically sidestepped similar issues, previously, as I feel ill at ease on such errands because my idea of ‘goodness’ of a person has nothing to do with, say for example, his drinking habits or more appropriately his ebullience in a bar(which is precisely what the enquirer needs to know especially if the prospective groom is from the armed forces). No amount of excuses could, however, bail me out of this one and so I had to do something to safeguard my reputation!
Anyways, all’s well that ends well. The boy’s superior happens to be my old shipmate and the requisite information was, therefore, not hard to come by. The boy’s a teetotaler and as I could gather from the response that I got from the other end of the telephone, that singular information had gone down well with the would-be-bride’s parents and I’d done an excellent job – fast work and clear cut information, you see!!

Tailpiece.
I’ve heard from some well meaning guys that those who imbibed the spirits were, usually, good hearted and those who don’t, cannot be believed at face value and therein lies the dichotomy that I’m in, after today’s actions of mine!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment