Sunday, November 14, 2010

14 Nov - Children's day.

I've always looked up to 14 Nov and the associated Children's day activities. I've won quite a few prizes be it for recitation, painting, essay writing etc during my early school days and later on for weightier competitions like debates, quiz competitions - the beauty of having participated in those competitions was that at least a prize or two were assured. And I love receiving gifts!

The second factor is that it's the birthday of Jawaharlal Nehru. I must let you into this one, my family, beginning with my grandparents, were ardent fans of his. So much so, on the day of his death there was no supper made in our house and we're in a state of mourning and as a kid of class IV, I couldn't comprehend the situation then. He, indeed, is a classic case of a charismatic leader and mind you, if he'd wanted he could have been dictatorial in his ways and ridden roughshod with his own agenda. Despite the whole hearted support of the entire country, he respected a free idea of thoughts. Admittedly, he'd made many mistakes during his lifetime but the position that he put India on the world stage, is the foundation on which the world still looks up to us as a great country!

I like every word and the ethos that he'd put into that masterpiece of his, " Discovery of India" because it underlines his tremendous love for his country. And so, rightfully, remembering him on his birthday is a tribute that we owe to this great son of India!!

And coming to children, for whom this day is dedicated because of his fondness for them. It's a treat to interact with the children of today - a privilege that I'd today being a spectator in a function organised by a school nearby - as I find them to be clearer in outlook and more knowledgable when I compare with what I was at that stage - I should confess that I was a hopelessly lost case!!!

I'm proud of the fact that today's children are tomorrow's citizens who'll surely take the country to further greatness. And may the spirit of 'Chacha Nehru' be their guiding beacon!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment