Thursday, November 11, 2010

How much money is enough?

I've always been amused when people have asked me as to how much money should one have to feel comfortable in life. This is a question that can be answered only by the individual, as I reckon, because one's limits and datum are best known to one's own self. I must, however, corelate this doubt with two of the contestants that I saw on the 'Kaun Banega Crorepati' show, over the last couple of days.

Prem Batar of Meerut had won Rs. 1 crore and he went for the jackpot question of Rs. 5 crores despite the fact that he wasn't sure of the answer, his father and the expert on the show prodded him to quit and he was left with no lifeline. He, finally, had to leave with Rs. 3,20,000/-. Why did he do it? Surprisingly, when I searched for an answer within myself, I came to the conclusion that I too would have done the same thing that Prem Batar did! Perhaps, when one's in a position like that, the gambler within oneself gets emboldened to go for the kill with a scant regard to playing safe and doesn't, for a fraction of a moment, think about losing or the consequence of losing - it's a sheer gut reaction that goes awry!

Jyotsna Singh, a police constable disarmingly simple in outlook and her heart rending request to her estranged parents(on account of her love marriage!) to get in touch with her, must have tugged at the toughest of hearts. Interestingly, she'd got on the hot seat soon after Prem and had won a purse money of Rs. 12,50,000/- when faced with a question, where she decided to quit as she was unsure of the answer. The best part, according to me which showed the strength of her character, was yet to come.

Before quitting, when asked to hazard a guess, she'd indeed told the correct answer and everyone in the audience(that accounted for me too in front of my television set, at home) including Amitabh Bachchan, the host felt that she should have taken the call. Despite all these reactions, Jyotsna was absolutely at peace with herself and did not feel that she'd lost anything - for her, the amount she'd won was more than adequate and satisfying! Simply great and three cheers to Jyotsna for her resoluteness!!

And so, how much money is adequate enough? The jury is still out on the issue!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment