Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A nasty experience!

Yesterday, after Lekha's review by her doctor he'd recommended certain mandatory tests to be done. Accordingly, I'd called up a reputed pathological laboratory and had requested the doctor there, to send his representative to collect the samples this morning. However, the doctor expressed his inability to accede to my request as he was at home and had asked me to sms my telephone number to him promising that he would fill in the details after an hour or so.
Since I had not heard anything from him, I tried to contact him after my customary evening walk and had a harrowing experience. On the first ring, the receiver on the other end was picked up by a lady who then asked me to hold on till the doctor came and attended to my requirements.

After a while, I heard the gentleman asking as to who the caller was and immediately after, the call was disconnected. I tried the number a couple of times more but the same wretched experience was repeated. Having reached a dead end, I then contacted their HQs in Bombay to help me out and was given a few more telephone numbers of their other franchisees nearby. But after trying out each and every number I'd come to the conclusion that none of them would be of any help in my hour of need. And I sadly realised that the only alternative left for me was to take my wife to a nearby laboratory in the morning.

Lekha was in bad shape, with unbearable pain and could hardly walk. But after much coaxing and bulldozing on my part, I was able to take her to a pathological laboratory in the nearby Sadr market. With a bit of cajoling, the medical attendant, Sunil, graciously agreed to draw the blood sample from Lekha who was seated in the car and thus the event was successfully carried out. The results were in hand by evening and we're able to pass on the information to Lekha's doctor who could then fine tune the medicines being administered on her.

Though everything had ended well, I'd unfinished work. I called up the Bombay HQs of the pathological laboratory, whose franchisee had misbehaved and lodged a complaint on the basis of three factors viz.
(a) The doctor had misbehaved, in that, he'd refused to take a genuine call.
(b) If he could do this to a serviceman like me, then what would be the plight of a common man from the civvy street?
(c) The patient was suffering and don't these guys have the basic decency to uphold the Hippocratic oath that they'd faithfully taken on completion of their course?

I've, in my capacity as a citizen of this country, further told the HQs at Bombay that they needed to take action and let me know about it, just for the simple fact that the gentleman never, ever repeats such uncouth behaviour to another unsuspecting but needy customer!

No comments:

Post a Comment