Wednesday, December 1, 2010

An embarassing experience!

This morning I'd gone to attend a meeting which lasted for almost an hour and a half. As I came out of the venue of the meeting, I quickly charged into a nearby rest room to relieve my overburdened bladder. Despite my hurry, I was surprised to see the room devoid of the standing cubicles, but mentally attributed their absence to the vintage of the building and proceeded to carry out the ritual that I'd come in for, in one of the WCs at hand, without even bothering to bolt the door!

I guess God and luck were by my side today. As a 'relieved' me came out of the rest room, I saw three ladies entering and it was then that it dawned on me that I'd done my job in the ladies' rest room! Profusely apologising to them, I then made a quick, sheepish exit and it was yet another occasion when I'd wanted to shrink into my clothes!

My 'timing' seemed to be just right for saving me from a massive embarassment and excused me from giving feeble explanations later!

A sad footnote.

Over the weekend, the Surya Malayalam news channel covered the plight of Sangeetha, a young lady who' d chucked up her job, got soon after having attained graduation. She had taken this step to look after her ailing and bed ridden mother. They stayed in a wretched hut in the outskirts of the city of Thiruvananthapuram and were going through tough times to make both ends meet.

Once the news of their poverty had entered the public domain, there were quite a few good samaritans willing to offer help. But, alas, when one such group came knocking to give them hope, they were witness to the ghastly sight of the lifeless body of the young lady hanging from the roof and her mother's dead body down on the floor.

Why did Sangeetha end her life? Was she so overwelmed by her mother's death that she decided to end her life too? Or was she too proud of being supported by others without any effort on her part? I suppose these questions will remain unanswered and go alongwith them to their graves.

Here's me saying a silent prayer for them. RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment