Saturday, December 25, 2010

O Aparna! - a Bollywood script?

I was at the airport waiting for my flight to be announced. Delhi was smothered by fog, flying operations had gone haywire and flights were either cancelled or being rescheduled. It was gonna be a long wait and no sooner had I put my head into a book when I heard someone crying next to me and continuously muttering something incoherently. It turned out to be a young lady, who was running out of tissues, as she used up one after the other out of her stock. My first observation was as to who could be so heartless to drive such a beautiful person to tears or was it that she'd lost someone dear, whose final rites she was rushing to attend - the script writer, deep within me, had started taking wings!

Mustering my courage - one can be snubbed, you know and be asked to mind one's own business - I offered her my pack of tissues and she gratefully picked up a couple of leaves out of the pack and tried to smile with little success. Emboldened by her reactions, I asked her the reason for her melancholy. It turned out to be that a friend of her's had suddenly stopped regular communication and was being nasty of late. The young lady was pretty sure that he was friendly with someone else and this was the aspect that she hoped to find out on reaching Chandigarh, where she was headed to - the guy has no inkling as to what's coming at him and coincidentally, he shares the same name as mine!

Soon, over a cup of coffee, she wanted me to analyse as to what her friend was upto. It was indeed a tall order because I'd heard only one side of the story, nevertheless I offered the three fundamental truths about relationships that I believe in, which are:-
(a) A relationship is truly over when communication becomes scarce/non existent.
(b) If faults/differences are being constantly highlighted, it has to be deduced that the person is meeting someone else and a continuous comparison is being made to justify the present situation.
(c) And lastly, I cited a 'forward' that I'd received in the not so recent past which spoke about relationships being for a 'reason', a 'season' or 'lifelong' - the last category was however, less and far between.

As Aparna(that's her name) was going towards the exit when her flight was announced, she gave me a hug as though I'd given the elixir of her life. She has promised to keep in touch and let me know about all that happens. Yet another friend picked up courtesy a journey and it's my sincere hope that she has a pleasant experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment