Thursday, December 23, 2010

Personal thoughts - old and new.

Smita Patil.

Today is her rememberence day. She was an extremely talented actress who'd a fantastic charm
on celluloid and I never missed her movies though I must admit that most of them left me sad
for days, immediately thereafter, as they depicted the harsh facts of life(except, of course the humorous
'Namak Halal'). But I must admit that
the frozen image of 'Smita Patil as an actress' in my mind, is the one in which she, as a slum
dweller, is having a bath under a roadside tap. No other scene in a Hindi movie has so strongly
depicted the urban economic disparity and the actress had expressed the angst with consummate ease.

Smita, your contribution to the growth of the Indian cinema will always be remembered. May you have eternal peace!


The mad scramble for DDA houses.

As the last day of receipt of applications for the allotment of the new DDA flats approaches - which happens to be tomorrow - there's a mad scramble for the registration forms, attendant bank loans and finally, the submission. Many well meaning friends have tried to egg me on but I've politely declined since I neither have the resources nor the inclination. And I do not have any intention to stay on here, at Delhi, once my mission is over.

But the fact that I'm trying to depict is yet another unique quality of the Delhiites, which simply defies logic, because I'm told that many in the crowd already have a house of their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment