Thursday, December 30, 2010

Adieu!

Yesterday, two fine people(Ravi and Meera's mom - shucks, I don't even know her name) passed away and we've been left poorer by the reduction in the number of people who always wished us well. While offering condolences to their near and dear ones, who've suffered the irrepairable loss, one was struck with the only truth in this world - death - yet again.

Ravi Dhankar was a close friend who'd lived his life well but an aspect of his that had endeared him to me was his fighting spirit. We'd rolled, laughed, played pranks on each other at every stage of our growing up and shared our dreams as well as the disappointments - giving comfort to each other when it mattered. By bringing about his end in a gruesome road accident, I feel that death has cheated him in its haste to take him away from our midst. Ameeta, Rohan and Adarsh, we grieve with you. RIP Ravi, you shall continue to live within us for all that you'd so willingly given us during your lifetime.

Meera's mom was a sprightly old lady in her early eighties, so full of life and quite fond of Lekha and me because in her words, we'd seen more in life than she'd! Whenever we're in Kochi we used to make it a point to look her up and she always insisted on playing the perfect host, despite the fact that she was bed ridden with a broken hip, when we'd met her last year. Her greatest asset was that she could be cheerful despite her physical discomfort. RIP Meera's mom, I guess I shall always remain indebted to you for the unadulterated love and affection that you'd showered upon me.

Tailpiece - When my PJ did the trick.

Meera and Sidharth are good friends of ours. It was when I'd called up on Meera's cell to offer my condolences, that I'd come to know about Sidharth's recent fall from the stairs(was it an indication about what was to follow, I wonder?) and consequently, had fractured his right hand which was in a cast.

The cell was passed on to Meera who was tearful and could barely speak. After mumbling about being with her during troubled times, I told her that it's in the day's Malayala Manorama, in graphic detail, as to how she'd pushed Sidharth down the stairs and in the process, sustained the fracture. Meera's reaction surprised even me - she laughed!

The immediate reaction from the assembled mourners, as I'd gathered later - 'the girl has gone hysterical with grief. She was very much attached to her mother, you know!' Sorry, Meera for that ill timed prank but I was just trying to lighten you up in my clumsy way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment